West Portal is a small neighborhood in the southwest part of San Francisco known for its village atmosphere. The affluent neighborhood’s main corridor, West Portal Avenue, is a citywide destination known for its first run movie theater, upscale restaurants, boutiques, home goods retailers, cafes, and specialty stores. During the daytime, West Portal is lively with college students frequenting cafes and local lunch spots, families, and local professionals.
The West Portal Merchants Association and the Greater West Portal Neighborhood Association advocate on behalf of the neighborhood and sponsor various annual events. There is interest to renew the efforts to establish a Community Benefits District (CBD) to support the growth and vitality of local businesses and enhance the quality of life in the neighborhood.
Currently (as of early 2014), customized services employed on West Portal Ave include:
- Collaboration among West Portal Merchants and Residents
- Providing technical assistance to businesses affected by 2012 fires
- Planning for Tastes of West Portal to support neighborhood promotions
- Replacement of water pipes, paired with repaving and curb and accessibility improvements
- Partnered with SF Travel to develop neighborhood marketing opportunities
- Focused business attraction to particular sites on the Avenue
- Working towards reviving the Community Benefits District campaign to increase community capacity