In an effort to improve the City’s business corridors, OEWD provides grants, design assistance and project management though the SF Shines program to improve storefront facades and business interiors.
The SF Shines Program’s objectives are to:
- Encourage investment in the neighborhood
- Increase neighborhood safety
- Attract and retain retail businesses
- Improve business identity
- Restore the historic and architectural character of the neighborhood
- Improve the pedestrian experience of the corridor
- Assess and remove barriers to accessibility
- Leverage the most investment return for the size of the grant
The SF Shines program is intended to assist with expenses for ground floor storefront façade upgrades and/or interiors. Grant funds may cover the cost of non-structural building improvements including removal of security grilles and roll ups, painting, rehabilitation of historic facades, replacement of storefront windows and doors, new signage, awnings, interior space upgrades and ADA improvements. SF Shines applications will be reviewed per the Program Standards. Project grants are reimbursed to the applicant once construction is completed.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
Business and/or property owners are eligible to apply. Applicants must:
- Show a commitment to the SF Shines Program’s objectives and the neighborhood with a long-term lease (minimum of three years remaining)
- Obtain consent from the property owner
- Have all required and necessary insurances and building permits
- Be able to make a financial contribution to the project
WHERE IS SF SHINES AVAILABLE?
OEWD offers the SF Shines program in select commercial corridors including:
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO COMPLETE A FAÇADE?
Small projects generally take between four and six months to complete. However, projects may take longer depending on the historic nature of the property and the amount of work necessary to complete.
I’M INTERESTED! WHO SHOULD I CONTACT?
To learn more, please contact Roxana Vargas Greenan (415) 554-6645.
Prior to submitting an SF Shines application, applicants will be asked information about the property including location, building use, type of business and potential improvements the applicant wishes to make. Select candidates will receive business technical assistance in addition to a program application for review by the SF Shines committee.